Sunday, March 7, 2010

I've arrived

Well, after a long travel day and a VERY long day in the airport, I've arrive in Okayama, where we are staying for initial training. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much English is around and at how the katakana (Japanese alphabet) spells out things in English, as long as you can read the katakana. I'm surprised by how much french there is. There are pastry shops and bistros and French restaurants. Three of the six of us in our training group actually studied abroad in France too... Still, the language seems overwhelming and complicated. I'm trying to talk. Occasionally it even works! I'll feel like I'm on a roll... I order coffee, ask for the breakfast blend, understand they only have the afternoon blend, order that... then she gives me a coupon for something and I'm totally lost and kind of just walk away. Apparently counting is more complex than I initially thought. What you are counting changes how you count. Wow!! I guess I have a lot to learn!!!

Still, I'm not sure my brain realizes that I'm in Japan yet. I'm surrounded by five other American co-trainees with whom I've been spending my time. I've seen just enough signs in English, a surplus of McDonalds, Starbucks, Tully's, Pizza Hut, Ikea, etc. Okayama seems more industrial, so it's also not quite how I pictured Japan to look. I'm really eager to get to Tokyo/Yokohama, where I'll be living. It felt a little like Japan when I was looking for some Advil yesterday. ALL the medication is labeled in Japanese- labels, indications, directions, dosage, everything! I learned some valuable new words in the process. However, dinner last night really started to feel like Japan. We found this great little restaurant. You walk down a bamboo hallway to get to the entrance. You take off your shoes (of course.) The decor was all Japan too. We had gyoza, edamame, sashimi, some scallops, and our first hot sake in Japan. Ordering is always a bit of a process, but the food is good so far, the sake even better! There was a Japanese group next to us that was really fun. When a girl in their party arrived, they started singing happy birthday in English, so we sang along with them. They seemed so excited we were singing. Today is another free day before training starts tomorrow. Internet is not as prevalent as I expected, and I anticipate being busy during training. Still, I'll update soon

4 comments:

  1. Have so much fun, Liz! I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!! I'm so excited for you. I'm glad you are making new friends and experiencing new things. Happy settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the name of your blog - Gaijin Diaries. Sounds like you are having fun. I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! :) Can't wait for *pictures*, Liz!! Good luck with training! xo

    ReplyDelete