Today was a fantastic day. One of those days that reminds me why I chose to live in a foreign country for a year. One of my Japanese co-workers invited us to her grandmother's house today for lunch. It was one of those fantastic, long lunches that take forever. We arrived around 1, started with tea and sweets. Sat down to eat (on the floor) around 1:30 or 2. Finished eating around 4 or 5. Tried on kimono robes and took pictures until around 6, at which point there was coffee and dessert. Naomi's grandmother mentioned how amazing life can be at times. How, with the vast number of people on earth, what are the chances that this specific group of people would be brought together. It was so wonderful being invited into her home and feel like you could really be a part of their lives, at least for a day. I felt like I really got to experience a real Japanese moment, that you can't get on just a quick visit.
That said, it was also a really funny day. On the way to the train station to go to Yokohama, I passed the bar that Kevin and I had gone to for St. Patricks Day. We had been told the bottom level was a hostess club, but the top was ok. Well, today I saw a sign in katakana that spelled out ra-n-chi. All I could think was, does that sign just straight up say raunchy? I wondered if maybe I had been in a hostess club without even knowing. Apparently, it says lunch. It's just a bar that serves lunch. Damn l's/r's! "Lip my stocking!" (Lost in Translation quote). We really enjoyed saying things like, let's go get raunchy! If I don't get raunchy, I get really cranky. Maybe one of these days, we'll go back to that bar and get raunchy together.
Monday, March 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment