Sunday, March 21, 2010

Around Shonandai

Hello again!!

People have asked for pictures, so here's a short picture tour of my new home...


My lovely bed... Without the mattress the outgoing NET left for me, it would just be a futon...



My "kitchen." I think my kitchens get progressively smaller with each apartment. I don't know how much smaller I can go, though...



The bathroom. I hope you'll take note of the toilet slippers... Also, here in Japan, there is a faucet over the toilet so you can wash your hands with the water that fills up the toilet tank. Conservation!



Washing machine!!! To the right is the bath and shower (which are separate from each other and the toilet room.)



Entryway... not very exciting. Want to get a shoe rack.



Obama doll from Heather... to remind me of home!!!!!



My desk



The oh-so-exciting view from my balcony. I heard somebody say that Japan is so focused on progress and industrialization, that they have done little to beautify their urban areas. In many ways, this is true. It's often industrial, urban, and ugly. Yet, this is a culture that really values aesthetics. So, random things will be really pretty, like manhole covers have these beautiful, intricate designs on them. Yet, buildings are ugly... Go figure!



The construction site right next to my apartment that is waking me up every morning with the sounds of construction. Boo!! The construction workers are nice, though



Another beautiful view.. this time leaving my apartment building.



A look down the street.



The bar where we spent St. Patrick's Day. It's the only bar here in Fujisawa, that we know of, that is not a hostess club, which is something like a modern-day geisha or a whorehouse, depending on who you ask... But, I guess the bottom floor of this bar is a "snack bar" as the hostess clubs are referred to.




The view walking into work.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer about the construction next door. Reminds me of Joshua's year in the dorm. They were doing some construction near his place too. Not only that, he had a garage across the street with car alarms going on all night long. I hope they get done with that before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - neat pictures! Kinda reminds me of the construction we had next door in La Scale - or at least I vaguely remember something like that happening for awhile and it being super noisy!

    It's really great to read all your entries - you'll have to tell me what you think of lolita in tehran. I liked some parts of it but found it dragged on a bit too long for me. Maybe you'll think differently since you're in a different country and have a different point of view.

    Any large cooking adventures with your new, difficult to acquire purchases? I'd love any new recipes you stumble along :)

    XOXO,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! My doll made it in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete