I don't remember ever having lived so much for the weekends before. I think my whole mood changes the minute the weekend comes, maybe that's because I get out of Shonandai.
Last night I went up to Tokyo for a beer meetup group. It was fun, but those meetups can always be just a little awkward, because it's a group of strangers making small talk. Still, it was a good mix of Japanese and gaijin. We started talking about jokes and one man, who has lived in Japan for nine years, told me my jokes were so bad, that here in Japan, they have a specific word for that kind of humor. I forget the Japanese word, but it translates to middle-aged man humor. The people were nice and the beer was good. We decided to go to a different neighborhood and go to what they called the ¥300 shot bar. When we got there, I realized I had already been there and really liked it. It was kind of nice feeling like places are starting to be recognizable.
At some point, it was time for Cinderella to leave. My train might not turn into a pumpkin, but it does stop running. Once again, I wish I didn't live in Shonandai, but Tokyo, so I don't have a curfew. Well, trains in Japan can be confusing. I use a program on my phone to find trains. It's all in Japanese, but I normally do ok. I was running to catch the last train. I knew I had the right line, but wasn't sure what platform. My train left at 11:39. I got a little dyslexic and saw one train on the screen that said it left at 23:49. I just saw the 9 and jumped on. I immediately knew my mistake at 11:39 when the other train across from me on the platform (completely packed) pulled away... And I'm stranded in Tokyo all night... To make it worse, my first Japanese class is today- pretty early in the morning.
So, I head to Manga Kissa. My lonely planet had recommended it if you're stuck for the night. I'm glad I had read that section. So, for ¥1300 (about $15) I get a private booth for six hours. There's a computer with tv, unlimited internet access, a recliner... They offer free drinks all night... Juices, coffees, teas, sodas... They even had free soft serve ice cream last night. Manga is Japanese comics. This place is like a huge library FULL of comic books. I spent the night sleeping in my recliner, other people sleep on the floor... If I hadn't been so tired, I think it would be fun to look through the comics, explore that side of Japanese culture. Or maybe use their massage chairs. I've had much better nights sleep before, but it wasn't awful... Now to go to class and lean Japanese.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
glad to hear you've 'still got it' in the humor department!
ReplyDelete