Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bizarre beyond bizarre

Before I left for Japan, I wondered if I belonged anywhere or if I belonged to the world. Now, I often think that my heart is, and always will be, in San Francisco. I have found a home. Still, there is a part that belongs to the world as a whole, and it made it's way home tonight.
After work, I went out with Kevin. We met up with Ralph, this guy who works for Aeon (our parent company), actually upstairs in the same building. Ralph is this really cool guy. He's from Britain. We also met up with Sayaka. I had never met her before. She works in a hair salon in the same building. Apparently, she is a student at Aeon. Perhaps, Ralph's student? Perhaps, Ralph's girlfriend? We went out to an izakaya and had an absolutely delicious meal!
Afterward, Kevin and I went to a bar that he had wandered past last weekend. The bar turned out to be a Latin bar. (Oddly enough, it used the batman logo as its own logo.) Still, it was an interesting night. The bartender was Japanese (Okinawa) by birth and heritage. He grew up in Argentina and considers his mentality to be Argentinian. His first language was Spanish. I spent the night, at a bar in Japan, speaking Spanish and translating for Kevin. On the other side of Kevin was a man who spoke Japanese and English. So, we were speaking/translating with him too. Then, it turns out that both Kevin and this Japanese man can sign. They were comparing American sign language and Japanese sign language. The bartender opened a bottle of wine that was ABSOLUTELY delicious!! When we asked him about it later, it turns out his friend gave it to him as a gift. His friend is a famous sumo wrestler here in Japan. The wine was INCREDIBLE. The Japanese man who spoke English was saying he thought the wine was very expensive. Kevin and I both thought it was one of the better wines we'd ever tasted. We were then "gifted" with some pastise/ouzo/absinthe... we're not sure exactly what it was. I'm pretty sure it was absinthe. Still, my poor brain is trying to catch up from the day. Such an interesting evening though. Roberto, the bartender, and I spent a good while discussing politics, racism, and the idea of being open to people of the world as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That sounds incredibly interesting. It reminds me of the dinner we had the night Sergei came to live with us for a while. The people had traveled extensively and spoke many languages. I don't know if you remember it, but more and more people showed up and we kept saying, "add more water," a Latin phrase referring to add more water to the soup so we could feed more people. It was a fun night. Sounds like you had a fun night as well. I am glad you had a good time. Sounds like you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually remember that night very vividly. And I've never forgotten the "mas agua." I also remember you were saying you felt left out because you didn't speak another language, and I said that you spoke Greek and Hebrew. Last night definitely had a similar feel

    ReplyDelete